Sunday, January 13, 2008

Icon Analysis 2-2

Icon Analysis
In this analysis I’m going to describe three icons of today. The first is a patriotic icon, the Marine core mascot, the bulldog. The bulldog mascot dates back to World War I. The Germans referred to the Marines attack on them as “…"teufel-hunden," meaning Devil-Dogs” (Sturkey, 2001). That is were it started, but it wasn’t until shortly after that that A Marine Core poster showed up sporting a “…snarling English Bulldog wearing a Marine Corps helmet” (Sturkey, 2001). After that the Marine Core unofficially adopted the bulldog as their mascot. The second icon some would argue is patriotic also, the Harley Davidson. The Harley Davidson motorcycle was founded “In 1903 in Milwaukee by Bill Harley and Arthur Walter Davidson…” (Harley’s, n.d.). This two man show began by building one motorcycle. The company grew at a modest pace until one day they put in a “…45-degree V- Twin…” engine into a bike and well history basically wrote it’s self from there (Harley’s, n.d.). There are not many places you don’t go today and ask a motorcycle enthusiast and you ask them what is the most ironists’ motorcycle and most would reply “The Harley Davidson”. The third icon is a religious icon, the catholic rosary. The catholic rosary is a strand of a number of beads. The number of beads depends on the number of prays that are being recited, so each bead symbolizes a pray and the number of beads can vary. The reason the rosary is used is to help make sure all the prayers and hale Mary’s are recited. As each pray and hale-Mary is recited finger is kept on a bead, moving along the strand until all is recited. The rosary is not a required in catholic pray, but it is a helpful tool that is used to help make sure everything is recited. (personal communication, January 12, 2008)
The reason I chose the Marine mascot, the bulldog, as my first icon is because there are a number of Marines in my family, my boyfriend being one of them. Anytime my family gets together stories from the men’s Marine Corps days are always shared, I just sit back and listen. The Marine Corps bulldog is an icon that I am proud to, and will always support. Everyone should be educated to know that if they see the bulldog that it is the Marine Corp mascot.
The reason I chose the Harley Davidson as my second icon is because is because the Harley is a true American Classic. While I do not support the Harley Davidson by riding one I do realize that without the Harley Davidson the motorcycle would not be as popular today as they are the sport bikes that I ride and support would most likely not exist. In the end the Harley Davidson is an American icon that will never die. Its fans simply won’t let it.
The reason I chose the catholic rosary as my last icon is because while I knew that it existed I did not know how and why the Catholics used it. I have some family that is catholic and I’ll be attending a catholic wedding ceremony in couple months. I felt it is important to understand their practices before sitting through the ceremony. While I’m not catholic, I felt it important to support their beliefs. In the end icons are an important part of history. While I knew a majority about the two of the three icons I chose, I believe one should have some knowledge about the icons of their time. If you recognize something as an icon and don’t fully understand it then you should educate yourself, because there was an important reason that that person or object became an icon and you should respect enough to understand it.









Reference
Harley’s History (n.d.) Retrieved January 11, 2008, from http://www.powerpassion.nl/harley/story-engels.html
Sturkey, M. (2001) Marine Core Mascot. Heritage Press International. Retrieved January 11, 2008, from http://www.usmcpress.com/heritage/marine_corps_mascot.htm

No comments: